Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.4 and 3.1-rc4 based dom0 won't boot with acpi=off

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.4 and 3.1-rc4 based dom0 won't boot with acpi=off
From: Sven Köhler <sven.koehler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:44:35 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:43:00 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject :references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type; bh=hfvLv6Qxy0/6pAC6zln36dV4M+3s6Fxs59EafmH3ngI=; b=XnuWSm05b5HN0l4UVZ2Miy4NRDjjEjsiJtt63zbe8IMaFNX4mh1bvXRkGDTUmjVomD xnUdeK/j+JBOYthdFc+icSO3T1XvBRppybCzjDNAwnsPmDYLgV/ZcZR9uxUq1lFtphE/ Q9zlsdOC9fRQvm6rOEdSfwZ/ld/zxlcnWhoxU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am 11.09.2011 02:28, schrieb Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:43:18AM +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when using acpi=off in the kernel or xen command line, the system won't
>> boot. On real hardware, I saw a few interrupt related warnings from the
>> usb drivers. The system then seemed to lock up when trying to do I/O via
>> AHCI. Same in virtualbox. System won't come up.
>
> Not surprised. Without the ACPI we can't find parse the interrupt table,
> so you don't get any interrupts.

Thanks for explaining. Now what about the future? Will there be some
solution for the acpi=off case?

I'm a bit confused, since your words don't sound like there is a way to
boot with acpi=off. But other dom0 kernels actually boot with acpi=off.
So after all, some other way for setting up interrupts seems to exist.

> This is result of the reboot issue you have been seeing with your box?

Yes.

> You might want to try some parameters on the Xen line to alter how
> it is suppose to reboot.
>
> /*
>  * reboot=b[ios] | t[riple] | k[bd] | n[o] [, [w]arm | [c]old]

Thanks for the list.
I guess, both reboot=bios and reboot=b is accepted?
BTW: "no" is missing in the list below. acpi is missing in the list
above. And actually what's the source for list?
(I never find any documentation about the hypervisor options, which is
pretty frustrating sometimes)

>  * warm   Don't set the cold reboot flag
>  * cold   Set the cold reboot flag
>  * bios   Reboot by jumping through the BIOS (only for X86_32)
>  * triple Force a triple fault (init)
>  * kbd    Use the keyboard controller. cold reset (default)
>  * acpi   Use the RESET_REG in the FADT
>  */

So in fact, xen is doing the reboot, and not the dom0 kernel, right?
(Some people have claimed otherwise)

Could you imagine to adapt xen's reboot code to the one of linux 3.0
(which was tweaked quite a lot for maximum compatibility)

Regards,
  Sven