[Xen-devel] Memory Trace Project Help

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Memory Trace Project Help
From: Sameer Pramod Niphadkar <spniphadkar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:55:55 +0530
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 02:26:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

I hope to get your valuable inputs to this pet project of mine, please
do feel free to mention your ideas, suggestions and recommendations
for the same.

I've collected a huge number of memory traces almost 10 GB of data.
These memory traces were gathered from a set of servers, desktops, and
laptops in a university CS Department. Each trace file contains a list
of hashes representing the contents of the machine's memory, as well
as some meta information about the running processes and OS type.

The traces have been grouped by type and date. Traces were recorded
approximately every 30 minutes, although if machines were turned off
or away from an internet connection for a long period, no traces were
acquired. Each trace file is split into two portions. The top segment
is ASCII text containing the system meta data about operating system
type and a list of running processes. This is followed by binary data
containing the list of hashes generated for each page in the system.
Hashes are stored as consecutive 32bit values. There is a simple tool
called "traceReader" for extracting the hashes from a trace file. This
takes as an argument the file to be parsed, and will output the hash
list as a series of integer values. If you would like to compare to
traces to estimate the amount of sharing between them, you could run:

./traceReader trace-x.dat > trace-all
./traceReader trace-y.dat >> trace-all
cat trace-all | sort | uniq -c

This will tell you the number of times that each hash occurs in the system.

Now my idea is to take the trace for every interval (every 30 mins)
for each of the systems and find the frequency of each memory hash. I
then plan to collect the highest frequencies (hashes maximally
occurring) of the entire hour (60 mins) and then divide the memory
into 'k' different patterns based on the count of these frequencies.
Like for instance say hashes 14F430C8 ,1550068, 15AD480A, 161384B6,
16985213, 17CA274B, 18E5F038 and 1A3329 have the highest frequencies
then I might divide the memory into 8 patterns (k=8). I plan to use
the Approximate Nearest neighbor algorithm (ANN)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mount/ANN/ for this division. In ANN one needs
to provide a set of query points, data points and dimensions. I guess
in my case my query points can be all the remaining hashes other than
the highest frequency ones, the data points are all the hashes for the
hour and dimension can be 1. I can thus formulate the memory patterns
for every hour, I then plan to formulate memory patterns for every 3
hrs, 6 hrs, 12 hrs and finally all the 24 hrs. Armed with these
statistics, I plan to compare the patterns based on the time of the
day. I hope to provide certain overlap with the patterns and create
what I call as "heat zones" for memory based on the time of the day
and finally come up with a suitable report for the same.

The entire objective of this project is to provide a sort of relation
between the memory page access and the interval of time of the day. So
for specific intervals there are certain memory "heat zones". I
understand that these "heat zones" might change and may not be
consistent with every system and user. The study here intends to only
establish this relationship and doesn't do any kind of qualitative or
quantitative analysis of these heat zones per system and user. The
above can be considered to be an extension of this work.

Please feel free to comment and suggest for any new insights

regards
Sameer