Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough

To: Greg Shieh <greg.shieh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough
From: Alex Merritt <merritt.alex@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:44:23 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:45:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=/CvrMnaJLmp2FGxLoNxAYcvagCqZa5kLmPJZQDtGT30=; b=SvV+DmmQW+N8tndMNQjEVYzWYQUwY29nKyi8lf5jY+bEqGOpX1trTcrG8j6g7Tro5h XWdx/lwhQiVn+lnWL8uWiJzwLBuHEfjxPjwXClayXdxV8/gUyXeLnMKHlwRpJWGuoJFu cei1Hp3d6H+DlippGUetEHCrsxmph38jmYmhc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Don't forget to CC the mailing list (reply all).

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:14, Greg Shieh <greg.shieh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I am using GPU for graphic demo purpose.
>
> My kernel is 2.6.32.12, I am running Suse 11.3. I only can run PV since
> there is no HVM option for me when creating VM.

Hm, I've only noticed the opposite, where a Linux distribution does
not ship with a kernel that is paravirtualized, forcing me to choose a
guest configured as an HVM.

> What Kernel are you using? Can you send me some info what what you did to
> make your GPU can passthrough to a VM?

I used 2.6.32.40 from the pvops tree for Domain-0 and Xen 4.1. The VM
was configured as HVM using libvirt's XML configuration specification.
My system has an Intel Tylersburg chipset in it, providing an IOMMU
implementation (VT-d). After creating the guest, I added a section in
the XML file specifying which device to pass through, then wrote to a
/sys file to enable passthrough of GPUs at runtime:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo

I believe I used "virt-install" to configure and create a guest VM,
via the GUI that is provided.