Re: [Xen-devel] xen/stable-2.6.32.x xen-4.1.1 live migration fails with

To: "Andreas Olsowski" <andreas.olsowski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen/stable-2.6.32.x xen-4.1.1 live migration fails with kernels 2.6.39, 3.0.3 and 3.1-rc2
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:32:57 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 00:34:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 19.08.11 at 19:56, Andreas Olsowski <andreas.olsowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have 2 servers, both were installed with Debian 6.0.2 stable(squeeze).
>
> I took the xen-4.1.1.tar.gz and the very latest xen/stable-2.6.32.x from
> jeremys git.
>
> For dom0 .config i used one that was derived from the ones suggested on
> the pvops wiki page. It has worked fine before.
>
> For domU i use 3 different kernels, a 2.6.39 one, that is running fine
> on ~80 paravirtualized guests in my production envrionment.
> Also the lastest 3.0.3 and 3.1-rc2 from the kernel.org git.
>
> The config was updated for them via make oldconfig at different times.
> 3.0.3 has explicitly has DEBUG symbols in it, the others dont.
>

> I made damn sure my two test servers where as close to identical as they
> can possbily get.
> Everything installed by make install-xen and make install-tools is
> binary identical.
> The kernels have been copied over via scp. (scp /boot/*2.6.32.45* ...)
>

> It all boils down to this:
> BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ...
>
> This happens when i migrate one of my 3 test virtual machines
> (testvm-2.6 testvm-3.0 and testvm-3.1) from host1 to host2.
> host1 is called xenturio1, host2 is called tarballerina.
>
> config-2.6.32.45-xen0:
> http://pastebin.com/DLC3BcCF
>
> config-2.6.39-xenU:
> http://pastebin.com/r5KBpumE
>
> config-3.0.3-xenU:
> http://pastebin.com/DDjrYANv
>
> config-3.1-rc2-xenU+:
> http://pastebin.com/tWbt16yR
>
> sytem information on host1 and host2:
> http://pastebin.com/zs89a1rQ
> (cpuinfo, xl info, uname -a, md5sums of xen and kernel)

Does it also fail the other way round (host2 -> host1)? If not, your
issue is likely fixed with 23102:1c7b601b1b35 on 4.1-testing (and
with you posting on xen-devel rather than xen-users I would really
have expected that you would have looked for similar reports or
eventual fixes before complaining).

Jan