[Xen-devel] Re: IOMMU support for xen in BIOS of AMD based HP DL385g7 an

To: Joerg.Roedel@xxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: IOMMU support for xen in BIOS of AMD based HP DL385g7 and kernel 3.0.0-rc7
From: "M. Schneider" <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:53:50 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:56:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am 20.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Roedel, Joerg:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 06:34:33AM -0400, M. Schneider wrote:
Please allow me one question about IOMMU support in AMDS's 890FX chipset
and 6176SE CPUs used in HP DL385g7 servers. These chips support IOMMU as
far as I know. BIOS of HP DL385g7 doesn't currently offer an IOMMU flag.

I have contacted already HP support due to this missing BIOS setting
options but less or more my request has been ignored (no solution and no
plans for solving of this important issue  yet) so I am looking for a
workaround as IOMMU support is required for passing thoruhg of PCI
devices to domU domains (xen 4.0 / 4.1).
I am sorry but if there is no IVRS table there is not much we can do.
The IVRS table contains the information which device uses which
request-ids. Without this information the IOMMU can not work reliably.

Thank you very much fo your answer Jörg.

Some BIOSes (like BIOS of HD DL385g7 server with AMD CPUs) don't have the IOMMU option. I have to correct my prevoius email as HP DL385g7 servers have the AMD SR5690/SP5100 chipset (supporting IOMMU).

Is it possible to write a workaround for xen 4.1 or 4.2 to create such IVRS table in code (in case it has static entries for specific server type) and add a boot option like "iommu=force-dl385g7" ?

Thank you in advance for any hints.

Best regards,
Mark

--