RE: [Xen-devel] How to request contiguous memory for a domu

Please read http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions
and do not top post and do not cross post between xen-users and
xen-devel.

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 09:57 +0100, Fan, Huaxiang wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> We are running cpu/memory intensive application/services on a domu, we
> are worry about non-contiguous memory allocation might affect the
> performance.
>
> We are migrating the application/services from a single CPU socket (4
> cores, i.e. 8 ht cores) hardware platform to a dual CPU socket (8
> cores, i.e., 16 ht cores) hardware platform. And we saw performance
> degradation. As you know each physical and a half memory constitute a
> node. We also worry about the domu memory allocation across nodes
> boundary.

Does turning on Xen's NUMA support help at all? And then possibly
pinning each guests VCPUs to a particular physical node. IIRC xl has a
cpupool command which sets up a cpupool per node which might make this a
bit easier. I must admit though that I'm not too familiar with Xen NUMA
capabilities, hopefully someone else on the list can advise further.

Ian.