Re: [Xen-devel] xm/xl block-detach issue

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 17:37 -0400, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
> On 11.07.2011 20:22, Daniel Stodden wrote:
>
> > Looks good, although I'm not really good with the 'disk' lines either.
> > E.g. mine just say tap:aio, tap:vhd, etc.
>
> Hmm what is the difference betwwen tap:vhd and tap2:vhd ?

There's a lot of compat hell in there. If either one or the other works
for you, you'll probably regret you asked. :o)

> If I start my vm1 using tap:vhd it does not hangs on a "ps -aux" in the
> dom0, and the xl block-list 0 doesn't segfault, but it does if I use
> tap2:vhd.

Ah. Interesting. That might indicate a simple problem with a simple
solution.

> I'm a bit confused. There is blktap and blktap2 in the xen sources, but
> one module blktap for the kernel. The same module is used for both
> versions ?

There used to be a blktap1. It's quite different, and supposed to die.
It only lived in 2.6.18. Don't bother.

> > Ouch. What xen tree are you running? Unstable? What does tap-ctl list
> > say, does that work? You might want to try the 4.1 tree instead. If
> > not, you'll at least want to get yourself a coredump to get an idea of
> > what you're after.
>
> I'm running 4.1.1 from the tar.gz, also tried 4.1.0, same things occurs.
> I'm still investigating :)

Okay, very cool. If you even happen to come across a fix for the tap2
issue, or at least identify the crash cause more precisely, that'd be
great.

Daniel