[Xen-devel] Xen PV audio XenStore

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen PV audio XenStore
From: George Boutsioukis <gboutsioukis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 00:16:41 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:17:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello everyone, as some of you may remember there is a GSoC project
this year to implement a paravirtualized audio driver and I am the
student undertaking this effort.

As the rest of the PV audio drivers, my frontend uses XenStore to pass
the event channel & grant reference to the backend, along with a few
configuration data. Although the driver is far from usable, the
XenStore layout is not going to change much in the future, so I think
it would be useful to describe it to the community.

First of all, although the frontend is implemented in userspace, I
tried to follow the scheme used by the rest of the PV drivers. This
looks something like:

/local/domain/<domID>/device/audio/<devID>/event-channel
/local/domain/<domID>/device/audio/<devID>/ring-ref
/local/domain/<domID>/device/audio/<devID>/format
/local/domain/<domID>/device/audio/<devID>/rate
/local/domain/<domID>/device/audio/<devID>/channels

where devID is a unique device ID for the guest system.

Accordingly the backend will use something like:

/local/domain/0/backend/audio/default-*

which will likely be a way for the backend to advertise the
capabilities of the sound hardware to the guests and perhaps pass a
few other parameters.
This looked like the simplest way to go. Of course I'm only new here
and I might be missing something grave, so please let me know what you
think.

--
George Boutsioukis