Re: [Xen-devel] Domains not being destroyed properly

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:52 +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
> On 21/06/2011 14:39, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> >> However I can't destroy the domain with 'xl destroy'. The command runs,
> >> but the domain is still there afterwards.
> > Is qemu-dm running for that domain? what happens if you kill it?
> Ah ha.... that makes the domain go away.
>
> Ok, to be clear what I did....
>
> xl create -e domain-details
> xl shutdown <domain>
> (End up with a domain called (null) in state --ps-d according to xl list
> kill the qemu-dm process associated with the domain
> the domain goes away
>
> note that I didn't need to do an 'xl destroy' the kill of qemu-dm was
> sufficient
>
> If I do....
>
> xl create -e domain-details
> xl destroy <domain>
> the domain goes away

The difference is that shutdown is only a request to the guest to shut
itself down, while destroy is the big hammer which kills the guest with
prejudice and tidies up any detritus (or at least that is the intention
IIRC).

I suspect that you will probably find that only the hypervisor parts of
the domain are being cleaned up by killing qemu -- e.g. the xenstore
entries and some other stuff (e.g. libxl user data) are not being
cleaned up.

If you do:
xl create -e domain-details
xl shutdown <domain>
xl destroy <domain>

Does everything get cleaned up?

If you don't want to run an xl daemon for each domain (although I agree
with IanJ that they should be pretty cheap) I think a new xl sub-command
which caused it to behave as a single daemon reaping domains would be a
fine thing to have in our toolkit.

Ian.