[Xen-devel] vsyscalls may be going away... impact on Xen time performanc

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] vsyscalls may be going away... impact on Xen time performance on Linux in the future?
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: jeremy@xxxxxxxx, Konrad Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:56:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hmmm...

It appears that Xen time mechanisms that use vsyscall may be
getting slower...

"This is a significant performance penalty (~220ns here) for
all vsyscall users, but there aren't many left."

http://lwn.net/Articles/446220/

I honestly don't remember all the details myself anymore,
but I think this means that user apps in Xen PV domains
that call gettimeofday a *lot* may be in for a bit of
a shock when they move to a 3.x kernel in the future.
(Many enterprise apps do things like timestamp transactions,
which can lead to 10s of thousands of gettimeofday's
per second.)

See the xen-devel discussion here:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-10/msg00872.html

Dan

P.S. For lwn subscribers (or non-subscribers willing to wait a week),
see Jonathan Corbet's nice overview at http://lwn.net/Articles/446125/

--

Thanks... for the memory!
I really could use more / my throughput's on the floor