Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen 4.1 PVOPS 3.0.0-RC1 VGA Console

To: Sven Köhler <sven.koehler@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen 4.1 PVOPS 3.0.0-RC1 VGA Console
From: "Michael A. Collins" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:28:56 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 03:14:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:55:57 +0200, Sven Köhler <sven.koehler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 04.06.2011 06:41, schrieb mike.a.collins:
I've noticed that the VGA console is still not fixed in the 3.0.0 kernel when booting with xen dom0. Is there a patch like with 2.6.39? I could probably take what I used with the 2.6.39, but I was wondering if there
was a reason for not including it.  Thanks.

What have you been using for 2.6.39?

Also, I'd love to hear an explanation why it is necessary, or what I
have to look out for on the mailing list or the LKML in order to follow
the progress with regard to this issue.

From what I've been able to gather there has been a change in the way that Xen handles the host's hardware, in particular the console hardware. It was not sending that to the bootloader correctly, or at all, and so the kernel didn't see that there was a console. That is what I can tell, just my uninformed opinion. Konrad has a patch that fixes the way that Xen reports the console hardware to the kernel, but it looks as if it didn't make it into the 3.0-rc1 release. I just went to git.kernel.org and pulled up Konrad's xen repository and selected the stable/2.6.39.x and looked for the commit entitled "xen: allow enable use of VGA console on dom0" which was on May 31st. I clicked on the commitdiff page and then downloaded the patch from the link at the top of the generated page. I used that patch to enable the VGA console on my dom0, worked like a champ, but I don't know if there is an issue that kept it from being commited in the mainline. I hope this helped.
Mike

The problem (blank screen) pops up regularly in the xen-user list too.
Also the wiki page about pvops dom0 doesn't mention this issue.
(If I could edit that page, I would add the necessary information to it.
Unfortunatly, I don't really know what the problem is, and what the
solution might be.)

Regards,
  Sven