Re: [Xen-devel] Re: HVM hypercalls

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 08:38 +0100, veeruyours wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded 2.6.38.7 and seen the CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM available. This
> feature is automatically selected if XEN and X86_LOCAL_APIC are
> seletected.
>
> config XEN_PVHVM
>         def_bool y
>         depends on XEN
>         depends on X86_LOCAL_APIC
>
> But, when i select XEN (CONFIG_XEN), it automatically selects
> "PARAVIRT". Does that make my HVM guest into PV guest?

No. It makes your kernel capable of being used as either PV, PVHVM or
just HVM kernel. The guest type is purely derived from the guest cfg
file you use.

PV vs PVHVM/HVM is controlled by specifying hvm=0|1. PVHVM vs HVM is
controlled via the xen_platform_device=0|1 option, disabling the
platform device (it is enabled by default) puts you back to just HVM
mode.

BTW, this sort of question really belongs on xen-users.

Ian.