[Xen-devel] Confused by address translation when running guest os

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Confused by address translation when running guest os
From: henanwxr <henanwxr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 04:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 May 2011 05:00:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1、Before do vmlaunch at the first time, CR0 in guest-state area is to paging
protect mode, and this is actual state of guest os, as follow:
GUEST_CR0=v->arch.hvm_vcpu.hw_cr[0]
which with vaule CR0.PE=1,CR0.PG=1
but in the view of guest its CR0 is set to non paging protect mode, as
follow:
v->arch.hvm_vcpu.guest_cr[0] which with vaule CR0.PE=1,CR0.PG=0
my question is:
Initially, when executing the codes of guest os(such as hvmloader), address
translate in which mode in hell? Is it in actual state of paging protect
mode? Or in view of guest os that non paging protect mode ? And why?
       (1)If it is in actual state of paging protect mode, then the address
translation must walk through the page table, but we don not construct a
page table in advance?
       (2)If it is in view of guest os that non paging protect mode, then it
need
not a page table, I find the address translation is emulated within VMM,
liner address=physical address, as follow:
/arch/x86/hvm/emulate.c
static int hvmemul_linear_to_phys(…..
{
/* With no paging it's easy: linear == physical. */
    if ( !(curr->arch.hvm_vcpu.guest_cr[0] & X86_CR0_PG) )
    {
        *paddr = addr;
        return X86EMUL_OKAY;
    }
………………………..
But every time when guest os access memory and fetch the instruction, does
the address translation should through the emulation of VMM? And should
generate VM exit? Which I am sure is that when VMM process  I/O request of
guest os it should generate VM exit and call this function.
2、      How does EPT(Extended-Page-Table) work in question 1 above ?
3、When execute hvmloader, it will switch the processor to V86 mode, how
implement address translation since then?
4、      when virtual Bios load the guest os kernel, guest os will switch the
processor mode to non paging protect mode again, does the process of address
translation same as question 1?
5、      When guest os running normally, it is in paging protect mod, the process
of address translation is:
guest os liner address --> guest os physical address ( translate by guest
page table)
guest os physical address --> machine address (translate by EPT)
right ?