[Xen-devel] Fail to boot Xen raw image with hda converted from VMWARE vm

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Fail to boot Xen raw image with hda converted from VMWARE vmdk image with scsi
From: <Lu.YJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 15:45:21 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:47:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

1.      I try to boot a raw image with hda under Xen hypervisor converted by VMWARE vmdk image with scsi, but fail to boot with error message “Error loading operating system” below”.

Who can give me a favor?

2.      Under vSphere,  create a windows XP VM with scsi storage then install a windows XP to the SCSI storage called xp.vmdk in the VM via iso file. Can successfully boot the VM under VMWARE hypervisor. Shutdown the VM.

3.      Use tool qemu-img to convert the vmware VM image xp.vmdk to raw image called xp.raw

4.      Create a XEN VM with hda to xp.raw. During booting the XEN VM, will appear the error message “Error loading operating system” below.

5.      I modify ide.c and rombios.c in xen hypervisor per the following link then rebuild hypervisor then replace “qemu-img and hvmload” with the built ones, but still fail to successfully boot with the same error message.

http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-0-2-Fix-could-not-boot-vm-image-which-converted-from-phy-partition-td2548812.html

Note: My Xen platform is the CentOS5.5 64bit bundled with Xen 3.1.2.

Linux 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Feb 10 11:27:38 CST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

xen_major              : 3

xen_minor              : 1

xen_extra              : .2-194.8.1.el5

Thanks.