Re: [Xen-devel] Re: 2.6.39-rc6 does not boot on Xen 3.3.1

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 20:20 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Ian,
>
> >> Indeed it did not, but 2.6.38 booted just fine, so something has changed.
> >
> > Are you able to bisect?
>
> I was going to do that but there was a huge pull shortly before rc6.
> I wanted to check no one was going to say "oh yes, we disabled
> 3.3.1 support", rather than say:
>
> > Yes, so we should fix it.
>
> ^- that :-)

Sure ;-)

It would probably be useful to do a quick test of the commit before the
huge pull you refer to above before embarking on a full bisection.

> >> There was only one line of kernel output which was the one
> >> I pasted! Just "Xen Platform PCI: unrecognised magic value" then
> >> death.
> >
> > In which case I think you need to remove "quiet" from your command line
> > and add "debug" instead and ensure your console= line is correct. You
> > could also try using the earlyprintk option to see if that produces more
> > output.
>
> Doh! I bet it's Ubuntu's default quiet option. I'd assumed I had
> full output because of the "Xen Platform PCI: unrecognised magic value".
>
> > Do you get any output on the hypervisor console ("xl dmesg" or "xm
> > dmesg" depending on toolstack).
>
> I will look. Would a full .config help too?

Can't hurt. Full guest cfg file would be useful too, plus any file from
under /var/log/xen which has your guest's name in its name.

Ian.