Re: [Xen-devel] Console is not working with 2.6.38.4 Dom0 and Xen unstab

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seems like you've mostly got this sorted but FWIW "console=hvc0,vga" is
> not, AFAIK, a valid Linux kernel console= specification.
>
> Firstly you don't give multiple consoles separated with "," you need to
> give multiple "console=FOO" (with only the last one
> becoming /dev/console, I think). In Linux console= syntax a ","
> separates a console name from its options.

I noticed this and changed it to correct form in my later configuration.

> Secondly the VGA console is called "tty<n>" in Linux console= speak and
> not "vga" (this differs from Xen and Linux's earlyprintk=).

Yes, I've added console=tty0 in my kernel command line.

Now my grub.conf looks like:

multiboot  /boot/xen-4.gz com1=38400,8n1 console=vga,com1 sync_console
console_to_ring loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all
module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-rc4+ console=tty0 console=hvc0
earlyprintk=xen debug loglevel=10
root=UUID=fd49322b-830f-44d2-8bdf-de5c355bb159 ro  quiet

A few more tests show strange result.

I use Debian package 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 with Xen-unstable, it panics
with boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_TSC_RELIABLE), but the VGA console is
working, I can see information printing out.

Then I copy the config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 to my 2.6.39 kernel
directory and `make oldconfig`, which I expect it will produces a
kernel that will work. However, it did not turn out as expected. It's
still blank.

I diff'ed these two configs, the differences seem irrelavent.

Any suggestions?

--
Best regards
Wei Liu