[Xen-devel] HVM domain with PCI passthrough cannot reboot

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] HVM domain with PCI passthrough cannot reboot
From: "Louis McLennan" <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:36:54 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:29:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When rebooting a win7 domu with PCI pass-through enabled in Xen Hypervisor 4.1. I encountered the following error.

VmError: failed to assign device 01:00.0: maybe it has already been assigned to other domain, or maybe it doesn't exist.

However, one could create the domain with no issues right after this error appeared. Suggesting something in the reboot process is not waiting for all PCI devices to detach.

At this time I’m working around this issue by inserting a timer before the VM gets created.
I’ve added (domain_reboot_timeout 10) to my xend-config.sxp and modified some files as seen in attached. As I don’t know python and I apologise for the slackness of my approach.

At this time I’m only passing through a Sound Card, USB Controller and an ATI Graphics card. Perhaps this is hardware related. I have applied a patch for the ATI card to work. However, this issue was present when the ATI card was not listed in the config. As below you can see it reporting the same thing with the USB Controller.

VmError: failed to assign device 00:1b.0: maybe it has already been assigned to other domain, or maybe it doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Louis