Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about OProfile

To: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about OProfile
From: "W. Michael Petullo" <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:45:39 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:47:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> First, what is the status of Xenoprof? The latest patch is against 0.9.5,
>> but OProfile 0.9.6 is about 16 months old. Is Xenoprof actively
>> maintained?

> There is a crufty pv_ops patch that I forward ported to 2.6.32 in this tree:
>
> https://github.com/avsm/linux-2.6.32-xen-oprofile

So, is it true that I need to 1) use this patch or 2) use a non-PV
Ops Dom0? I thought 2.6.32 was already non-PV Ops.

> It's not suitable for upstreaming, but passive profiling of domains
> works fine for me using this kernel.  Ian Pratt suggested dropping
> active profiling in order to simplify the patch: does anyone actually
> use active profiling?

I am especially interested in passive profiling because I wish to profile
experimental kernels. Developing on top of Xen is a big win for this type
of work precisely because of tools like gdbsx and passive profiling. With
this capability, there is no need to spend time adding debugging or
profiling features into a new kernel.

--
Mike

:wq