Re: [Xen-devel] What happen to blktap2 in Xen 4.1 ??

To: Sarge I <3sarge3@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What happen to blktap2 in Xen 4.1 ??
From: Daniel Stodden <daniel.stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:00:13 -0700
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 13:01:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 13:35 -0400, Sarge I wrote:
> Good day.
> Im having problems with xen 4.1 in blktap2 operation.
> 1) can`t attach vhd image with tapdisk2 –n vhd:/path/to/file ,
> application respond with “usage: tapdisk2 <-u uuid> <-c control
> socket>”, in previous version it was “usage: tapdisk2 <-n file>”.
> Question is, how to attach image file in xen 4.1 , please ?

Never. Try tap-ctl -n <..>

> 2)  after stopping domU with tap2:vhd images, tapdisk2 processes
> remain in memory as well as devices in /sys/class/blktap2.

Yeah, this is normal at least by xl right now. Normally the toolstacks
are supposed to keep a refcount on the device usage, I don't think that
presently happens.

> On other hand, there are no longer possibility to list attached images
> in /sys/class/blktap2/devices:
> sarge@kxen pts/2: cat /sys/class/blktap2/devices
> 0 €L©
> 1 €—˜4
> 2 €wøã
> 3 €÷9

Interesting. It's not used by xl or tap-ctl, actually it was just left
around for backward compat with older toolstacks. That said, it should
work nonetheless, and this looks broken indeed. I'll check it out.

> instead of expected (from previous 4.0.1) :
> 0 vhd:/etc/xen/images/webserver.vhd
> how to read currently attached disks please ?

There's a tap-ctl list command, which performs a scan through all
spawned tapdisk processes and the set of allocated disk nodes, and which
connects to which.

Daniel