Re: [Xen-devel] Could some help to explain code under /xen/arch/x86/hvm

To: tinnycloud <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Could some help to explain code under /xen/arch/x86/hvm
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:28:41 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:29:30 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=IfZis0SQQ85QfC2FFlqarkFszOH/HSj5FAS5hYm+CUo=; b=KFeoF/t0EiOk7sSOtYmOzZb+LlfpF0FfbSgzWS9rQLHjR+M3qH8FfFvslE+nw+WEY0 uyxdLrdlb7G5NfuGDMwyUBYF0OIHnPlvZgHZeyWlSOMzypHKn/X9YzPsN8OoqWSN2NX3 cpof3l6PZcH++cWODBQzfU2ptBo+7/hl0l/LY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As the name suggests, it contains code related to hardware-assisted
virtualizaton (HVM).  hvm/vmx/* have to do specifically with Intel's
HVM tecnology, and hvm/svm/* have to do with AMD's HVM technology.
Overall activities:
* Dealing with virtualizing privileged instructions (pagetables, CR3,
LDTs IDTs, traps, interrupts, &c)
* Serving as an interface to pagetable functionality, either using HAP
(hardware-assisted paging) or shadow pagetables
* Dealing with device IO: PIO and MMIO.  Most of these are passed back
to qemu, but some are handled in the hypervisor.
* Implementing in-hypervisor devices

The instruction emulation routines are abstracted such that they can
be shared between shadow pagetable code and MMIO/PIO.

Hopefully that gives you an idea as you explore on your own. :-)

 -George