Re: [Xen-devel] Hypervisor crash(!) on xl cpupool-numa-split

To: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hypervisor crash(!) on xl cpupool-numa-split
From: Stephan Diestelhorst <stephan.diestelhorst@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:01:05 +0100
Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Przywara, Andre" <Andre.Przywara@xxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:26:00 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 02 February 2011 16:14:25 Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 02/02/11 15:39, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:
> > We have the following theory of what happens:
> > * some vcpus of a particular domain are currently in the process of
> >    being moved to the new pool
>
> The only _vcpus_ to be moved between pools are the idle vcpus. And those
> never contribute to accounting in credit scheduler.
>
> We are moving _pcpus_ only (well, moving a domain between pools actually
> moves vcpus as well, but then the domain is paused).

How do you ensure that the domain is paused and stays that way? Pausing
the domain was what I had in mind, too...

> > Despite the rant, it is amazing to see the ability to move running
> > things around through this remote continuation trick! In my (ancient)
> > balancer experiments I added hypervisor-threads just for side-
> > stepping this issue..
>
> I think the easiest way to solve the problem would be to move the cpu to the
> new pool in a tasklet. This is possible now, because tasklets are always
> executed in the idle vcpus.

Yep. That was exactly what I build. At the time stuff like that did
not exist (2005).

> OTOH I'd like to understand what is wrong with my current approach...

Nothing, in fact I like it. In my rant I complained about the fact
that splitting the critical section accross this continuation looks
scary, basically causing some generic red lights to turn on :-) And
making reasoning about the correctness a little complicated, but that
may well be a local issue ;-)

Stephan

--
Stephan Diestelhorst, AMD Operating System Research Center
stephan.diestelhorst@xxxxxxx

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24
85609 Aschheim
Germany

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Alberto Bozzo u. Andrew Bowd;
Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis Muenchen
Registergericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632, WEEE-Reg-Nr: DE 12919551