Re: [Xen-devel] Re: which branch is recommanded to use for pvops dom0?

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: which branch is recommanded to use for pvops dom0?
From: Gianni Tedesco <gianni.tedesco@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:25:38 +0000
Cc: "Zhang, Yang Z" <yang.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:26:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 01:45 +0000, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 05:33 PM, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> > Hi jeremy
> > Now we use xen/stable-2.6.32.x for testing. But I found the
> > xen/stable-2.6.33.x is ready? Should we move to it?
> >

> There is no xen/stable-2.6.33; there might have been at one point, but
> it was never more than a placeholder.
>
> What kind of work are you doing?
>
> Mainline Linux contains a lot of dom0 support now, but not quite enough
> to usefully run a domain.  We're in the middle of preparing a 2.6.38-rc
> based branch which will be more complete.
>
> xen/stable-2.6.32.x is still the most feature-complete branch, but it is
> more or less in a maintenance state, and will probably only get bugfix
> updates.

Speaking of which I now have a reliable repro for "d0:v0 unhandled page
fault (ec=0000)" early-boot crash.

Go in to a file in the kernel and add the following:

unsigned char foo_bar_baz_furfuu_quux[1<<20];

Turns out that it is related to kernel image size after all. The crash
happens regardless of which section the big variable gets linked in to
(ie. text or data).

Gianni