Re: [Xen-devel] xm save + restore crashes Windows 2008 32-bit (4.0.2-rc2

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm save + restore crashes Windows 2008 32-bit (4.0.2-rc2-pre)
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:39:38 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:40:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 09:28 +0000 on 25 Jan (1295947707), James Harper wrote:
> > > The bug check is 0x7F (0xD, 0, 0, 0) which is an unspecified exception.

It's a GPF, not that that helps a lot.

> > > Is anyone else able to reproduce?
> >
> > I saw a failure like this last month but when I came to look at it again
> > it seemed to be working.   Are you testing on Intel or AMD hardware?
> >

> AMD (cpuinfo below). I've just spent the last few hours updating my
> Intel box to test on that too. Save/resume was working but was only
> 3.4.1 so isn't really a comparison.
>
> Both are now same xen, tools, and kernel.
>
> I should know if the problem exists on intel very soon. I'm guessing not
> or I wouldn't be the first one posting about it... either that or there
> is something else going on.

It was on AMD that I saw it too.  If I read them correctly, Ian's
regression tests are passing HVM save/restore for at least some Windows
versions on AMD too, so it may be very specific.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team