Re: [Xen-devel] VM hangs after live migration

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VM hangs after live migration
From: Muriel <mucawhite@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:58:49 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:00:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Il 12/01/2011 11:20, Ian Campbell ha scritto:
Hi Muriel,

(I reordered the quoted material slightly)
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 09:41 +0000, Muriel wrote:
Hi all,
i'm not sure that this is the right place to write but i hope you can
help me.

For XenServer specific issues you should generally either contact
XenServer support or make use of the appropriate XenServer forums rather
than this list which is for the development of the upstream xen.org
version of Xen.

Yes, i know, but the problem seems to be ambiguous, so i'm trying to ask for an opinion to the different actors:
 - citrix for the environment
 - ubuntu for the guest
 - this list for the changes on the xen code

I thought that this list is more correct than xen-user, but if you think not so i can move the thread. If you think that both are wrong i'm in a sea of trouble beacause:
- citrix say "is a ubuntu problem"
- it seems that for ubuntu "is a mainline kernel problem" (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/681083)
- you say "is a citrix problem"
end finally my boss say:
"is a YOUR problem" :)

to the kernel 2.6.32.27 and now:
- when i try to migrate the vm from a member of the pool to another
everything works fine;
- when i try to migrate the vm from a member of the pool to the master
the vm hangs (exactly as the 2.6.32.16).

If you see different behaviour based upon which hosts you are migrating
between then that, to me, suggests a XenServer issue in the first
instance.

Maybe, but the problem appears with the 2.6.32.16 and this made me to think that the bug has come with some modifications. I read the changelog and there are no significant changes from 15 to 16 (I'm wrong?). The only difference between the master and the members is that the master has no other virtual machines.

I have many vm on Xenserver 5.5 and starting with kernel 2.6.32.15 i had
many problems with the live migration:
- with 2.6.32.16 and higher the vm hang after migration (no console output)
- 2.6.32.26 and higher have this kernel bug:
kernel BUG at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.32/arch/x86/xen/spinlock.c:343!
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP

However if you have reason to believe that the issue is specific to the
guest kernel rather than the use of XenServer as a host then please
provide full details of the guest, i.e. the distribution in use, where
the kernel came from, the .config used to build it, the guest
configuration and full guest console logs etc.
>> After some research on the mailing list i tried to apply this patch:
>> http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-xen-events-do-not-unmask-polled-ipis-on-restore-td3241695.html
>
> There was a second patch at the end of that thread, which did you use?

Sorry.
guest: ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
kernel:
- ubuntu kernel 2.6.32.24 (based on 2.6.32.15 vanilla) -> works
- ubuntu kernel 2.6.32.25 (based on 2.6.32.21 vanilla) -> works on members, but not works members2master (guest hangs) - ubuntu kernel 2.6.32.26|27 (based on 2.6.32.24|26 vanilla) have the bug above
- vanilla kernel 2.6.32.27 have the bug above
- vanilla kernel 2.6.32.27 with your 1° patch works on members, but not works members2master (guest hangs) like 2.6.32.21

On what kernel i have to turn my attention to send log, etc (remember that i not have console because the guest hangs)?

Have you tried the xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch from xen.git?
No, but if can help i can try.
My idea was to try to find the problem, send a patch to the Ubuntu team and find the patch applied in the next ubuntu packages.

Thanks,
Ian.
Thanks for your attention Ian.

Muriel