Re: [Xen-devel] domU crashing, trying to determine why

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:54:44 +0000, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Is there anything in the Xen hypervisor ring buffer?
>
> Equally was there anything on the guest console? If it is dying before
> you can look then you can enable logging via XENCONSOLED_TRACE=guest
> in /etc/sysconfig/xencommons or /etc/default/xencommons (depending on
> distro). Logs show up in /var/log/xen/guest/

Because I configured 'on_crash = preserve' I can see the console after
it crashes, but no, there is nothing on the guest console, except for
the login prompt (which of course no longer works).

> If the guest is still running but deadlocked or similar then it might be
> worth sending a few SysRQs to it. To do this press Ctrl-O on the guest
> console and press one of the magic letters, 'h' will give help.
> 't' (tasks) would be a useful start as would 'p' (processor state).

I'll try this on the next crash. It crashed this morning, so I took the
liberty of adding the kernel log parameters so I can get xen hypervisor
ring buffer debugging information for the next crash.

> It might be worth compiling your guest kernel with lockdep support and
> seeing if it complains about anything.

Is this a .config option? If so, what is it?

> Also, I notice you seem to be running the Debian Lenny classic-Xen
> forward port. Are you running the most recent version of that kernel?
> Unfortunately there is not much developer interest in these classic-Xen
> forwards ports these days.

Yes, I am running the up-to-date Debian Lenny kernel. One solution of
course is to upgrade the system to Squeeze to get an overhaul of the
whole subsystem, getting a newer kernel/xen completely... but of course
that is a bigger change, and would not give us any clue as to what is
going on.

> You could also try the -686-bigmem kernel flavour from Lenny which is a
> PVops enabled kernel, or perhaps a Squeeze kernel from backports.org
> (either -686-bigmem or -xen-686, both are pvops kernels). If your
> problem persists with these then there is more chance of it getting
> fixed than with the Lenny -xen-686 flavour.

Do you mean run that kernel in the Dom0, or the DomU?

thanks,
micah