[Xen-devel] [GIT] xenbus backend support for upstream

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [GIT] xenbus backend support for upstream
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:43:55 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:44:57 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The following git pull request adds the Xenbus infrastructure for Xen
backend drivers to the upstream 2.6.37-rc kernel. It essentially
refactors the frontend xenbus scaffolding into frontend and common and
then adds the backend part.

All but one patch is cherry-picked from xen.git xen/dom0/backend/core.
It wasn't possible to simply merge the branch because that pulled in a
bunch of 2.6.32-style dom0 support which conflicts with what is now
upstream.

The only cherry-picked patch which required changes was the "xen:
separate out frontend xenbus" commit which needed updating because the
code which it moves has changed since it was written (primarily the
changes to wait_for_devices e.g. c6e1971139be, f8dc33088feb,
ae7888012969).

The last patch is new and fixes up the checkpatch issues in the
aggregate of the previous commits. I did it this way rather than fixing
individual patches since I wanted to retain the history as is.

I have a WIP set of changes which port netback onto this infrastructure
(the port works but still uses PageForeign and hence is not
upstreamable). I also tested with a merge of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git
devel/xen-pciback-0.1 and the result seemed functional.

Ian.

The following changes since commit cf7d7e5a1980d1116ee152d25dac382b112b9c17:
  Linus Torvalds (1):
        Linux 2.6.37-rc5

are available in the git repository at:

  git://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/linux-2.6.git upstream/dom0/backend/core

Ian Campbell (3):
      xen: separate out frontend xenbus
      xen: add backend driver support
      xen/xenbus: fixup checkpatch issues in xenbus_probe*

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (10):
      xen: remove xen/evtchn.h
      xenbus/frontend: register bus earlier
      xen/xenbus: make sure backend bus is registered earlier
      xen/xenbus: make frontend bus GPL
      xen/xenbus: clean up error handling
      xen/xenbus: cleanup debug noise in xenbus_comms.c
      xen/xenbus: clean up noise in xenbus_probe.c
      xen/xenbus: clean up noise in xenbus_probe_backend.c
      xen/xenbus: clean up noise in xenbus_probe_frontend.c
      xen/netfront: select XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND

 drivers/block/Kconfig                      |    1 +
 drivers/net/Kconfig                        |    1 +
 drivers/xen/Kconfig                        |   11 +
 drivers/xen/xenbus/Makefile                |    5 +
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.c          |  351 +++++-----------------------
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.h          |   31 ++--
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_backend.c  |  276 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_frontend.c |  294 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/xen/xenbus.h                       |    2 +-
 create mode 100644 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_backend.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_frontend.c