Re: [Xen-devel] any plans to sopport virtio-serial ?

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] any plans to sopport virtio-serial ?
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:10:54 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx" <v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:11:41 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Hi,

As I understand it (which is very vague) virtio allows each architecture
to supply device discovery, shared ring and event notification backends
which it then builds the specific device services on top of.

Yes. I think there are three backends now: pci, lguest, s390.

I think the
most obvious solution is to do device discovery using XenStore but to do
the shared ring and event notification bits with page grants and event
channels respectively. I was under the impression that virtio was
designed with the possibility of this sort of Xen backend in mind.

Yes, that should be possible.

Another option would be to just use the pci backend. As I understand it nowdays pci is available even in pv guests for pci device passthrough, so in theory this should work fine for both pv and hvm guests ...

cheers,
  Gerd