[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] pci-passthrough in pvops causing offline rai

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] pci-passthrough in pvops causing offline raid
From: Mark Adams <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:38:50 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:40:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:53:40AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:24:17AM +0000, Mark Adams wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Running xen 4.0.1-rc6, debian squeeze 2.6.32-21.
> >
> > In a voip setup, where I have forwarded the onboard NIC interfaces
> > through to domU using the following grub config:
> >
> > module  /vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 placeholder
> > root=UUID=25c3ac79-6850-498d-afcf-ea42970e94fd ro  quiet
> > xen-pciback.permissive xen-pciback.hide=(02:00.0)(03:00.0)
> > pci=resource_alignment=02:00.0;03:00.0
> >
> > I'm having a serious issue where the raid card goes offline after an
> > indefinate period of time. Sometimes runs fine for a week, other times 1
> > day before I get "offline device" errors. Rebooting the machine fixes it
> > straight away, and everything is back online.
> >
> > What in the Xen pciback is causing the raid card to go offline? The
> > only devices hidden are the 2 onboard NIC's.
>
> You need to give more details. Is the RAID card a 3Ware? An LSI? Do you
> run with an IOMMU? When the RAID card goes offline, do you see a stop of
> IRQs going to the device? Are the IRQs for the RAID card sent to all of your
> CPUs or just a specific one? Are you pinning your guests to specific CPUs?
> Does the issue disappear if you don't passthrough the NIC interfaces? If so
> have
> you run this setup for "a week" to make sure?

It is an Areca 1220. I can't see anything when the device goes offline
apart from

    [77324.264270] sd 0:0:0:1: rejecting I/O to offline device
    [77334.005854] sd 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device

Unfortunately nothing get's logged because there is nothing to write to
anymore. I'm not sure how I can see the IRQs otherwise. There is no
pinning being done at all, and the machine was running for a few months
OK before the pciback was added.

Is my kernel module line correct above? are the xen-pciback.permissive
and resource_alignment options required? Also I am passing through the
onboard NIC's - is this something that should be avoided or is it ok to
do?

> > I know that this issue is with Xen, as I had this running on a different
> > server (same xen setup) and it had the same issues, which I initially
> > thought were to do with the raid card.
>
> So you never ran this setup on this kernel (2.6.32-5) without the Xen
> hypervisor?

no, its always had the hypervisor - but it was running ok before the
pciback options were added. This week, it's seemed to happen
approximately every 24 hours.

> > Is there known issues in this kernel and xen version with pciback? I'm
>
> No. It all works perfectly :-)
>
> > going to update to the current package versions this evening (4.0.1-1
> > and 2.6.32-27) however would appreciate if anyone has any other insight
> > into this issue, or even just a note to say it is a bug that has been
> > fixed in current versions!
>
> Well, there were issues with the LSI cards having a hidden PCI device. But
> those
> are pretty obvious as you can't even use it correctly. There is also
> a problem with 3Ware 9506 IDE card - which on my box stops sending IRQs
> on the IOAPIC it has been assigned (28) and instead uses another one (17).
> Not sure if this is just the PCI card using the wrong PCI interrupt pin on the
> card and it ends up poking the wrong IOAPIC.

Thanks,
Mark