[Xen-devel] [Patch 0/4] Refining Xsave/Xrestore support - Version 2

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [Patch 0/4] Refining Xsave/Xrestore support - Version 2
From: Haitao Shan <maillists.shan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:24:34 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:25:33 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=1ssHB5pfkPVuGxvNaArUc8rsagWFPGI63vGZmpCtxhY=; b=dAw5fI9JXyLX6RroiCLmVR2t/bMS4SjznrBJ18DPXC/P538FeuApM2RIzfHT5eCU4p fsXiZg6a1dyMpr9TUbHVsnnXvVHN2abYLxXHJahMo6wLLi5kG1baLOXncX88R2QNe8oG tAYlsK8FYSodhcCp494mhz16Gkb9pVMvBbFMQ=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Keir,

The following patches refines Xen support for CPU Xsave/Xrestore
support. There are four patches included.
Patch 1/4:
   Cleaning up existing Xsave code in Xen.
       Replace xfeature_low and xfeature_high with a u64 variable
xfeature_mask.
       In structure hvm_vcpu, rename xfeature_mask to xcr0
       Provide EDX:EAX with all bits set to 1 for XSAVE and XRSTOR as
spec recommends
Patch 2/4:
   Adding Xsave/Xrestore support for PV guests. Feature is exposed
via CPUID. XSETBV is trapped and emulated by Xen (via GP#).
Patch 3/4:
   Expose AVX to guest OSs.
Patch 4/4:
   Adding guest save/restore support when Xsave/Xrestore are available.
       Adding a pair of hypercalls for PV guest
       Adding a new data chunk for HVM guest.

I tried to read the related the email thread and incorporated the
comments. These are version 2 of the patch series.

Shan Haitao