RE: [Xen-devel] Increase txqueuelen of vif devices

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxx>, "Miroslav Rezanina" <mrezanin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Increase txqueuelen of vif devices
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:25:49 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:27:02 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The expectation was that domU would push enough receive buffers to
dom0 to
> avoid packet loss. The txqueuelen is just a fallback for that. Still,
yeah,
> it could be increased if it improves perf given default domU netfront
> behaviour.

I have found the ring a bit small when trying to cope with many small
buffers, but it's workload and system dependent so it should probably be
set on a case by case basis.

Are there any disadvantages to increasing the txqueue?

What ever happened to the new netchannel stuff? Did that promise larger
rings?

James