Re: [Xen-devel] proposal of xt_physdev's patch to limit traffic

To: ahmed amamou <ahmed.amamou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] proposal of xt_physdev's patch to limit traffic
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:52:51 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 03:53:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ahmed,

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 11:27 +0100, ahmed amamou wrote:
> Good morning every Body
>
> I'm new in modules programming and I've made a patch to limit packet
> traffic in bridge(patch is joined with the mail).
>
> In order to limit the traffic, i used the netback limitation method to
> count traffic with skb->len  for each vif to stop traffic, as i can't
> put down vif, i change the hotdrop flag to 1 (change was based on
> xt_physdev of dom 0 2.6.18.8 so  in the patch will find it 1 but it's
> easy to change the patch to recent dom 0 version by just changing
> *hotdrop=1; to *par->hotdrop=true;)
>
> The problem that i have is that when i reach traffic limit (30mb/s by
> defaut and can be changed via proc EX: "echo vif1.0 312500,50000'
> >/proc/changeRXrate know that doing it via proc is the worst way but i
> don't know any other way to do it any suggestion will be welcome ) and
> begin drop traffic fell terribly and became 10mb/s
>
> will be really thankful if anybody could help me with suggestions and
> advices in order to  solve this problem

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly xen specific about your
patch. I think you will likely find more people able to help on the
netfilter lists (see the MAINTAINERS file).

However I'd first recommend reading Documentation/CodingStyle and
Documentation/SubmittingPatches as well as rebasing to a much newer
kernel than 2.6.18 (which is ancient even by Xen standards). You might
find ./scripts/checkpatch.pl useful as a rough guide to the coding style
fixes.

Ian.