Re: [Xen-devel] xl: pci completion error

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 11:15 +0100, Sergey Tovpeko wrote:
> > Heh. you probably mean 00:1d.* which would have a higher chance of
> > working - It's a USB controller, am I right?
> >

> > Passing through multiple functions of one device as separate devices
> > causes some unspeakable badness. Therefore the above configuration is
> > not supported in libxl. Unless it is for an SR-IOV card, but even then
> > it is only supported 'in principle' and not in code - I have no hardware
> > to test this.
> >

> 00:1d.* is the USB host controller. You're right.
>
> You pointed me to the way how PCI devices are enumerated inside the
> domain.  I specify each pci function separately in config file, so I get
> different virtual devices in the HVM domain.
> And by the now, I havn't noticed any problem with separated devices,
> which are the one multi-function pci device in real life. Perhaps, the
> moment of the badness doesn't come yet. :-) And it's not a SRIOV card.
> I attached the screenshot, in which there are some separate pci devices
> in the HVM domain.

Yeha, the badness is either if the guest driver freaks (not sure if you
have attached some usb devices and tried it? but that didn't work for me
in linux if i recall correctly), the other problem is that if you remove
any other function than 0 then the whole device gets reset behind the
guest OS's back which may not be anticipated!

> Well, I'm going to see what happens with shutdown case in more detail

Yes if you find anything, do let know.

Thanks

Gianni