RE: [Xen-devel] Possible Xen Apt Repository (was: no subject)

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Possible Xen Apt Repository (was: no subject)
From: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:25:28 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:27:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:02:59 +0100  wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 03:46 +0100, Mike Viau wrote:
>> I have search the archives for reference to Ian Campbell's Debian
>> binaries found at: http://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/
>
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=http%3A%
>> 2F%2Fxenbits.xen.org%2Fpeople%2Fianc%2F&submit=Search!
>> &idxname=xen-devel&max=20&result=normal&sort=score
>
> They were posted on my personal website
> http://www.hellion.org.uk/debian/test/
> and referred to by
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-08/msg01912.html
> but I moved them to xen.org and just left a pointer on my website, I
> didn't bother to announce this.
>
>> I am wondering if the http://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/squeeze/ or
>> http://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/sid/ HTTP folders can in some way
>> be added to Debian's apt sources file?
>
> I'm afraid the necessary meta data is not present to allow them to be
> used as an apt source so they are download+dpkg only.

Yes, because the Release(.gz) files are missing on web folder for use as an apt
repository.

These files can be created for the debs with the use of the dpkg-scanpackages
command.

A guide can be found here:
http://odzangba.wordpress.com/2006/10/13/how-to-build-local-apt-repositories/

> Originally they were intended to simply verify that the issues people
> were seeing related to changesets which had been excluded from the
> Debian kernel.
>
> I haven't decided if these are something I necessarily want to maintain
> for the lifetime of Squeeze. For the moment I build them for my own
> personal use and so I publish them, since I might as well do so, but
> they are not a formal xen.org service or anything like that.

Well, I guess that decisions is yours. I don't want to suggest you take
additional work onto yourself without good reason.

I know I would be personal interested in adding your Debian compatible Xen0
Kernel debs as an apt repository to my squeeze system. From the past it was
discovered that this kernel booted through the Xen hyper-visor quite with the
nouveau graphics driver support well for me.

> For something provided by xen.org I think we would more likely want to
> track the latest xen.git#xen/stable-2.6.x.y branch rather than the
> Debian packages.

Understood, do you think there is any possibly of xen.org setting up an APT
repository for Debian/Ubuntu based pvops kernel?

Thanks.

-M