Re: [Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1

On Sep 21, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:22:19AM -0400, John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)
> wrote:

>>> Ok, so your problems have nothing to do with DRM/KMS nor X if you see X
>>> working
>>> as Dom0 on your machine. You don't need those nopat, nomodeset options -
>>> those are only
>>> needed if you can't get X working under Dom0 and we need to troubleshoot
>>> what is happening.
>>
>> @Konrad, thanks, I will remove those options.

>>> Well, the normal F13 works for me.. but maybe I am installing it
>>> differently than you.
>>>
>>> What does 'lspci -vvv' and 'dmesg' show you under you DomU? And also can
>>> you attach
>>> the 'Xorg.0.log' from DomU?
>>
>> @Konrad, I posted a tarball earlier that has that stuff in it. Perhaps our
>> uber-paranoid firewall stripped it. I resend here:
>>

> Got it.
>
> Couple of things that glare at tme:
> (XEN) CPU0: VMX disabled by BIOS.

@Konrad,  I just found this out when trying to do the screen capture, just
before your email arrived
.
What is really happening on the newer custom machine is a flakey BIOS. The dump
is from this newer machine, which is a hand-me-down from other projects that
have more $. When we first inherited it, we had no idea what the motherboard
could do, so I first installed Fedora on this box and ran

# grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo

to see if the BIOS even knew about VT. At that time, /proc/cpuinfo listed 8
lines of flags _with_ vmx. So I switched to using it, thinking my problem was
with the older NV44 based card. So this machine is flakey in the BIOS and has
been put up for adoption by other non-Xen projects at  our lab.

I am switching back to the older Dell machine and will get you a dump and
screen capture of that one asap.

John

<snip>

----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                          building 12
Code 5542                                       mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942