Re: [Xen-devel] Has Anyone Been Able to Run PVOPS DomU Against any nVidi

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Has Anyone Been Able to Run PVOPS DomU Against any nVidia Chipset?
From: "John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)" <john.mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:14:33 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:15:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 20, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:53:56PM -0400, John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)
> wrote:
>> Xen Developers,
>>
>> This has already been posted to Xen-Users, but  I got no response.
>>
>> Short version: has anyone been able to run a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS domU, on Xen
>> 4.0.1, on Fedora 13, against any nVidia chipset? I'd like to know which
>> chipset please.
>
> I've been running it against the list in this Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPVOPSDRM
@Konrad, thanks, it helps to know that list is up2date. It is one reason I
posted; this behavior is unexpected based on the length of that list and the
fact that I get similar if not identical errors from a relatively old graphics
card and also a fairly new one.

> But I think you are referring to the nVidia motherboard chipset. In that case
> I've run
> it on some MCP55 chipset, and there are also some other nForce chipsets - but
> I don't
> remember the specific models.

@Konrad, both boxes are using nVidia graphics cards, not motherboard chipsets.
My only interest in motherboard chipsets is that they are typically dumbed down
and thus more likely to work?

>> Long version:
>>
>> I have encountered what appears to be an interesting video or DRM problem
>> with this combination.   Dom0 runs X11 without problems but this combination
>> will not run X11 as dom U. While attempting to install Fedora 13 dom U as an
>> HVM, using a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS dom0, running on Xen 4.0.1 on Fedora 13,  using
>> virt-install --nographics, it reaches the point following the XML display of
>> the boot guest configuration, reports an
>>
>> (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
>>
>> error and then hangs with garbage displayed on my remote xterm console.
>> (Virt-install --vnc dies also.) My serial console shows a bunch of hypervisor
>
> Hm, remote xterm console does not require you to run Xorg on your DomU. So
> this looks
> tobe two different issues you are hitting.

@Konrad, errors look the same running directly or remote; I checked that before
posting.

> What happens when you do 'vncviewer :0' ? Can you see the GNOME startup of
> your DomU?

@Konrad, I am running KDE :-) For the domU, I run the raw startx command, so I
can see the X messages. Is that not a valid way to test X11?

> What kind of garbage do you see in you remote xterm console? CAn you take a
> screenshot and
> send it?

@Konrad, well it is the same garbage, local or remote xterm (actually Konsole,
but I don't think that matters), but I will try to get a screen shot and post
it.

----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                          building 12
Code 5542                                       mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942