[Xen-devel] Easier interface for kickstarting Xen VMs

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Easier interface for kickstarting Xen VMs
From: "Edward Z. Yang" <ezyang@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:04:25 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:05:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

When you're embedding an HTTPD server into your Xen configuration
file, you know there's something wrong. :-)

I was curious to know if there would be any interest in offering
a more polished, easier to use interface for kickstarting Xen
VMs.  No mucking around with ks= and trusted web servers: just
say where your kickstart file is and Xen will take care of the rest.
Maybe even let you do a little preprocessing the same way you
can use Python scripting to support multiple machines out of one
configuration file.

We have a few ways of how we might do this: the "temporarily spawn
an HTTP server" is one of them but other possibilities include
mounting multiple initrds (doesn't actually work with Anaconda, we're
looking into it) and exporting a small, temporary filesystem to the VM.
If there's interest, we'll clean up our code and submit it.

Cheers,
Edward