Re: [Xen-devel] Passing information from HVM to Xen hypervisor

To: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Passing information from HVM to Xen hypervisor
From: Priyanka Tembey <tembey.priyanka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:49:48 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:50:42 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=jSbcMKrFYQ66EKwlv3mqL2SP74qdOXFXhYypgQcot+A=; b=t4B1x72GBSb4/VqOY0ZN7+quZe65wxerAqlAou2JcA7UdqOXlOlynlSAE6GqH/rLoV 8ENcreYjMTQKR/X9XqI59hGP9sec240Cafi/GyTd0x5LTlru2Duv9P0U5J4/cCRn6++M cz7wSPSSt44wjAUZGtA4ELzlzBLKbbGq53qIQ=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the input, George.
Is there a starting piece of code I can look at, to add a hypercall that can be used from within an application inside an HVM guest? I'm familiar with the interface between Dom0 and Xen, not so much between an HVM guest and Xen.

I'm currently working on providing useful hints to the Xen scheduler about scheduling components of multi-tier applications hosted in separate virtual machines. So the scheduler needs to be enlightened with VM group notions, also if the application (which has more knowledge about its workings than the hypervisor) needs to use that knowledge in scheduling itself and other components, then the hypervisor will support scheduler extensions to do so.

thanks,
Priyanka