Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Xen build - Debian vs Redhat layout patch option

Bruce Edge writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Xen build - Debian vs Redhat layout
patch options"):
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > It is better to provide hooks to allow distros we don't know about to
> > do what they want.
>
> You don't think there's any advantage to grouping all the distro
> directory dependencies in one place?

No.  I think there is a disadvantage to grouping these kind of
configuration parameter settings by our idea of what distros there
are and how they work.

> I thought that would make it easy to see where new distro layouts
> should be added.

A distro we haven't heard of doesn't want to patch our makefiles to
add themselves to a huge list, and we don't want a list of all the
distros in the universe in our code.  They just want to set the
settings available to the values for their setup.

> If not, then I'll just use these variables that can be tuned individually:
>
> SYSCONFIG_DIR_LEAF
> SUBSYS_DIR_LEAF
> INITD_DIR
>
> and put them all in Config.mk.