Re: [Xen-devel] Making snapshot of logical volumes handling HVM domU cau

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Making snapshot of logical volumes handling HVM domU causes OOPS and instability
From: Scott Garron <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:18:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:19:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 08/30/2010 12:52 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Something is causing udevd to end up with bad pagetables which are
causing a kernel crash on exit.  I'm not sure if its *the* udevd or
some transient child, but either way its bad.

     If it's any help, the version of udev on the machine in question is
160.  (udev_160-1_amd64.deb)  I've now added that info in the text file
that describes my system, referenced in my original post by this URL:
http://www.pridelands.org/~simba/hurricane-server.txt

I think this issue [unresponsive network interfaces] also causes xm
console to not allow you to type on the console
Hm, not familiar with this problem.  Perhaps its just something wrong
with your console settings for the domain?  Do you have "console=" on
the kernel command line?

     I have "extra = "console=hvc0"" in the domU configuration files.
The keyboard input works just fine for some time.  It ceased accepting
input at around the same time that the network interfaces stopped
responding, but that could have just been coincidental.

     I wasn't paying full attention, so this may also have been related
to me attaching to the console twice (Running xm console on one ssh
session to the dom0 in addition to running xm console from another SSH
session to the dom0).  When I couldn't connect directly to the domU via
SSH on its network interface, I tried to attach to its console to do
troubleshooting.  I may have already been attached to its console from
another SSH session to the dom0 and I suppose that might cause a
conflict.   ...  which begs the question:  "Is this the desired/expected
behavior in this scenario?"

--
Scott Garron