Re: [Xen-devel] Error expanding grant table frames

To: "Phil Winterfield (winterfi)" <winterfi@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error expanding grant table frames
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:48:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 00:49:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/08/2010 01:07, "Phil Winterfield (winterfi)" <winterfi@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> When I start up a 32-bit PV guest with a pair of passthrough NIC ports, I am
> seeing the following error:
>
> (XEN) grant_table.c:1121:d1 Expanding dom (1) grant table from (4) to (16)
> frames.
> (XEN) mm.c:883:d1 Error getting mfn 212ef (pfn 1d210) from L1 entry
> 00000000212ef023 for l1e_owner=1, pg_owner=1

Domain 1 presented a pagetable entry mapping a page that either it does not
own, or is unable to map with write permissions (e.g., because it is already
a pagetable page and permitting write mappings would be unsafe).

> (XEN) grant_table.c:266:d0 Bad flags (0) or dom (0). (expected dom 0)

Dom0 tried to map a page via a grant reference passed to it by another
domain (probably dom1). When Xen checked the permissions in dom1's grant
table, it found all zeroes, which is invalid. This is probably related to
the above page-table error: perhaps the failed mapping is of dom1's extended
grant table and hence it failed to write grant details into the grant table.
That's the angle I would investigate with further tracing in Xen and in
dom0's grant-table code.

 -- Keir