[Xen-devel] A bug in Xenbus driver

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] A bug in Xenbus driver
From: "Jun Zhu (Intern)" <Jun.Zhu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:57:42 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:58:51 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I think this is a serious bug, existing in the pvops 2.6.31.13 (also existing
in linux 2.6.35);

In the xenbus driver (drivers/xen/xenfs/xenbus.c), the function of
xenbus_file_read has a section of source code like this:
              if (ret != sz) {
                  if (i == 0)
                                i = -EFAULT;
                        goto out;
                }
                /* Clear out buffer if it has been consumed */
                if (rb->cons == rb->len) {
                        list_del(&rb->list);
                        kfree(rb);
                        if (list_empty(&u->read_buffers))
                                break;
                        rb = list_entry(u->read_buffers.next,
                                        struct read_buffer, list);
                }
It should be like this:
//              if (ret != sz) {
                if (ret != 0) {
                        if (i == 0)
                                i = -EFAULT;
                        goto out;
                }
This bug makes the read_buffer not be cleared most of the time. If the xenstore
client uses PTHREAD to create a thread to receive reply message, the problem
will incur. The new thread can not read what it wants to read, since the list
is not empty.

I found this problem from the xenstore client xs_watch function. xs_watch
creates the new thread on demand. So I recommend that in the function of
read_message(xen/tools/xenstore/xs.c), if using thread to receive message, in
the case of read fault, it should signal to the listener and print out the
error.

Jun Zhu
Citrix Systems UK