Re: [Xen-devel] Credit Scheduler code question

To: Marco Antonio <spyke.me@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Credit Scheduler code question
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:46:42 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 04:49:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type; bh=60ZKgB2VPwtFaukzXscvppHfbOxFnbD0RwdKd56uY+w=; b=kjy3kDqFOiWqMbhKylxk9pREg58ediqxpVhoC3VTPfh+VEl5+cfwifLUtoYnqJJrEF irhEkFBtaSdu2kNkuIZBwvp2Djtqz1TaiGi6v5nFMNPNY1dgphep1FulT1eQa+ba2nmK epHWYnTcZ6lWJEDMByIG+eNJXPo2UwzELWe+c=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The generic schedule code is in common/schedule.c and
arch/x86/domain.c.  common/schedule/schedule() calls
common/sched_credit.c/csched_schedule() to ask which vcpu should be
scheduled next on the current pcpu.  At the bottom of that function,
it calls context_switch(), which can be found in arch/x86/domain.c.
__context_switch() in that same file does the register changing; and
schedule_tail() at the bottom of context_switch() is what will
actually jump back into the vcpu if necessary.

Does that help?

If you just want to see what vcpus are doing, you can use xentrace to
trace runstate-change events, and then use xenalyze to analyze them.

Xenalyze can be found here:
 http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xenalyze.hg

> I think that it would also be helpfull to know how functions in the struct
> scheduler sched_credit_def are called.

One thing that may help you to grok the source code is the following magic rune:
 $ find . -name "*.[cSh]" | xargs grep -H {something I'm looking for}

For example, you could have used this to search for "->do_schedule",
and found that it was only called from common/schedule.c:schedule().

You can use rgrep as well, but that doesn't allow you to focus on a
specific subset of files.  :-)

 -George