Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC]PLE's performance enhancement through improving

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC]PLE's performance enhancement through improving scheduler.
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:16:52 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:17:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=uJbw7vgOI/L26Cfoxg9R/f5sl4gcbrLIPRd1L/YAPvE=; b=F2slQ8WqEKbOAIY9lbSeN1dwxARRYheyzBogRwjyy7T+8aUFtmyUig+KolscsDkqDG BwDYT90bZ/GiY8iRx0pp1x4dRVCrT8ez8P8j8mpiXLXdl1ZlelgOamiB9Ebmtc1lvGSv xBxtdZeUV0PQZnCLzp1pCsiWdvgfSnoV4qURU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xiantao,

Thanks for the patch.  You have two changes here:
* Yield goes back only 1 vcpu ("yield")
* Other vcpus of yielding VM get yanked to the front ("boost")

If you send them as two patches, we can talk about the changes /
accept them individually.

Both changes sound reasonable, but we often find in schedulers that
small changes can have unexpected results. :-)

I think the "yield" patch should be easy to accept.  The "boost" patch
looks good but also seems riskier -- I'd want to do some more thinking
and testing to make sure there aren't situations where it could cause
problems, or allow one VM to "game" the scheduler to get more time.

Would you mind running the vConsolidate test with each patch
separately, so we can see how each one affects the performance?

 -George