Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Jeremy's linux 2.6.33-pvops: wrong gntdev

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Jeremy's linux 2.6.33-pvops: wrong gntdev
From: Michael Brade <brade@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:43:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:44:33 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 04 August 2010 19:54:53 Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>   On 08/04/2010 10:30 AM, Michael Brade wrote:
> > Ok, cool, then I'll switch back to .32. Thanks for the info! And hey, you
> > know, .35 is out already ;-) I'm really looking forward to that because
> > of the XFS improvements.
>
> Ah, you use xfs from within a domain?  Does that work OK?

In Dom0, absolutely! I even have a root file system on NFS with XFS using PXE
in Dom0 and that is running without any problems so far. Just a little slow
for my taste when many small files need to be processed. Say, for instance, you
read a tar.gz file from the Dom0-NFS share, unpack it, and write the result
directly back to that NFS share. That takes a lot longer than it would take
locally, even with a Gigabit-LAN. But I hope that changes a little with 2.6.35
and the delayed logging.

The Windows-DomU (hvm-stubdom) uses a file as its harddisk on XFS and also
seems to work fine (though I am not really using it much, I have it just
because it's possible :)

The other DomUs I am currently setting up, so I can't say much about that yet.
There will be a mail server and a web server running on two of those domains,
both of them using xfs. Should there be any issues I'll let you know.

XFS has been my filesystem of choice for at least 5 years I think. Never had
any issues with it. Before I used reiserfs and before that I had ext2/3 but
that one gave me too many problems so I never tried it again.

Would you recommend anything else instead?

cheers,
--
Michael Brade;                                              KDE Developer
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 4: Beyond Your Expectations