[Xen-devel] Re: Writing VM Exit handlers in Xen

To: Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>, Patrick Colp <pjcolp@xxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Writing VM Exit handlers in Xen
From: Jonathan White <jonxwhite@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:30:12 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:31:08 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=vPZ5c3Z1whiYypOpwCiXA6Fj0cETzd3T/6y5BgRydN8=; b=YYw7BfzsuW582oXItcDQSms5bK8Pvf6SSh9/YZY+5tf21+pRkc0YTLDHMWnIR3y9JD +ptC3HScCCt6rFgW8Az4s/GBmhCmjhK4sJ080p4fhEExKrdnwjnxwWlf4LZOu4S/6wZR +IdEaaOkqtZXFmlnYQo2ar1PLwzhE9cDYefGk=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks so much for your responses.
Yes, I am familiar with the Intel manuals and VT chapters in volume
3B. My question was where to look in the Xen or dom0 code to tweak
what VMExits are enabled in the VMCS of a particular HVM guest, so
that VTx actually traps on those conditions and gives me an
opportunity to handle them in a handler.
Do I modify VMCS structure directly in Xen somewhere, or are there
easier interfaces available for VMCS management?
Sorry, I should have phrased my question better earlier.

Thanks,
Jon

On 7/29/10, Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You might also want to look at 21.6 (VM Execution controls) for the tunables
> and
> Appendix 1.
>
> -dulloor

>> You can't define new VMExit conditions. For all the possible exit
>> conditions, look at Intel's "Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software
>> Developer's Manual", Volume 3B. In the current (or near current)
>> edition, you want to look at chapter 24 - VM Exits.
>>

>> Patrick

Sent from my mobile device