[Xen-devel] Source Code Licensing Change Request

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Source Code Licensing Change Request
From: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:43:49 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:44:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xen Developers:

A few weeks back, Ian Campbell and Stefano Stabellini proposed that some files in the Xen.org community have their license changed:

The Xen source base includes two low level libraries (libxenctrl.so  and libxenguest.so) which provide low level services to toolstacks and  other components of the Xen system.

These two libraries are currently licensed under the umbrella of the top level COPYING file, i.e. GPLv2.

libxenlight has the aim of reducing maintenance burden across all  toolstacks and is rapidly gaining momentum as a common shared  implementation of core toolstack functionality. In order to maximise  the amount of sharing possible the decision was made to license  libxenlight under the LGPLv2. However libxenlight makes use of

libxenctrl and libxenguest and is therefore effectively GPL which reduces the opportunities for libxenlight to be used. Specifically this is a problem for libvirt bindings since libvirt is LGPL.

Therefore we would like to propose relicensing both libxenctrl and  libxenguest (i.e. the contents of tools/libxc) under the LGPLv2 and  libelf (xen/common/libelf, shared with tools and hypervisor) under a  dual GPLv2/LGPLv2 license.

At this time, I am happy to report that I have been in touch with all the developers who have worked on these files and have received approval for this change. Here is the current approval list:

INDIVIDUALS

Brendan Cully - Approved

Bryan Payne - Approved

Dave McCracken - Approved

Nguyen Anh Quynh - Approved

Shiram Rajagopalan - Approved

Tristan Gingold - Approved

George Coker - Approved

Hap9 – Approved

COMPANIES

VA Linux - Approved

Intel - Approved

Fujitsu - Approved

Citrix - Approved

Oracle - Approved

Novell - Approved

Red Hat - Approved

AMD – Approved

We are in the final approval stages from Stratus, IBM, and HP as well as the following developers:

Bin Ren

Derek Murray

Geoffrey Lefebvre

Guy Zana

Jody Belka

Justin Gibbs

Kip Macy

Yuji Shimada

Michael Fetterman

Simon Kagstrom

If you are aware of any issues with this licensing change, please contact myself, Ian Campbell or Stefano Stabellini in the next two weeks as we intend to switch the license on August 11, 2010.  Thank you

Stephen Spector

Xen.org Community Manager

T: (772) 621-5062 | M: (954) 854-4257

stephen.spector@xxxxxxx