RE: [Xen-devel] Question: why pvops seldom build modules drivers

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Question: why pvops seldom build modules drivers
From: "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:52:02 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 23:54:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 07:10:47PM +0800, Liu, Jinsong wrote:
>> Jeremy,
>>
>> Recently I install pvops/xen at a new platform,
>> However, I meet troubles, it need manually enable&install some
>> driver like Lsi scsi controller (to find root device which is a SAS
>> disk connect to Lsi controller) & Intel 82576 nic to access network.
>> I check pvops .config, it seldom build module driver.
>> Just curious why pvops does so? it make trouble when install pvops
>> at various platform ..., while at native linux it config most device
>> driver as module.
>>

> Take a look at my example .config files mentioned on troubleshooting
> section on: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> For example:
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.32.15-pvops-dom0-xen-stable-x86_64
>
> That's (originally) based on Fedora 11/12 default kernel .config, so
> it has most stuff as modules..
>
> -- Pasi

Pasi and Jeremy,

Thanks for suggestion!
Yes, it's OK to download .config which suitable for installation at most
platform.

However, I'm curious why we didn't set proper Kconfig and then produce proper
.config?
In current pvops Kconfig, it only produce .config with less then 10 driver as
module driver,
while native linux Kconfig produce hundreds of driver as module driver suitable
for installation at most platform.
If we set proper pvops Kconfig (say, set most drivers =m), user can do 'make
menuconfig' without change anything and then produce a 'good' pvops .config.
This would be helpful for most user build & installation pvops at different
platform.

Thanks,
Jinsong