[Xen-devel] regressions from post-3.2.3 c/s 17041

To: "Christoph Egger" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] regressions from post-3.2.3 c/s 17041
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:09:25 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 01:09:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph,

that patch of yours, even though it doesn't say so, appears to be a
plain revert of 3.2's c/s 16898. Consequently it re-introduces the
problems fixed by that earlier c/s, in particular the bad behavior of
the SVM decoder near page boundaries. Presumably that patch,
never having been part of an official release, has seen very little
testing, but as it was taken into our post-release SLE10 SP3 code
base is now apparently causing regressions there.

In order to find a way to better fix the problems you tried to
address, could you provide as much detail as you can recall/
reconstruct on what lead you to that patch of yours (the patch
comment unfortunately was rather terse), and namely what the
precise problem was that you encountered? In particular I'm
having trouble connecting the patch to the error messages noted
in its description - afaics the SVM decoder shouldn't be used for
the (generic) HVM MMIO path.

Thanks, Jan