[Xen-devel] How to force destroy a vif not connected to any domUs?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] How to force destroy a vif not connected to any domUs?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:56:15 +0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 03:57:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm testing latest SLE11-SP1 kernel from kotd
(2.6.32.13-0.0.0.43.aa5bdc6, built from source). While creating a
domU, I messed up "root" setting on grub command line, so that the
domU exits with

#===================
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
ERROR opening /dev/console: No such file or directory
Trying to use fd 0 instead.
WARNING: can't access (null)
exec of init ((null)) failed!!!: Bad address
#===================

Okay, fair enough. The problem is that even though the domU is dead,
it's vif remains. And since I assign unique name to each vif, I can't
start the domU again (since an interface with that name already
exists).

The question is, is there a way to FORCE destroy this interface? With
blktap2 I can issue something like

echo 1 > /sys/class/blktap2/blktap3/remove

Is there something similar for vif?

--
Fajar