Re: [Xen-devel] New feature support - xl or xm ?

To: "Vincent, Pradeep" <pradeepv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] New feature support - xl or xm ?
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:43:48 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 07:47:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Vincent, Pradeep wrote:

> Thanks Stefano.
>
> >>I think that migrating VMs from 'xm hosts' to 'xl hosts' would
> > work even at the moment, if you use xl on both source and destination
> > hosts
>

> I am not sure what you meant here ­ Are you suggesting retrofit of Oxl¹ to
> hosts using older hypervisor.
>
> Can migration functionality (including live migration) in Oxl¹ be designed
> for backward compatibility with Oxm¹. I am sure this will go a long way in
> helping existing users convert over to Oxl¹.

When xen 4.1 is released and you update your xen host to 4.1, you can
still use xend to perform VM migrations to the new up-to-date host.
>From that point on you'll have a system with both xend and xl working
correctly, so if you want to migrate your VMs to another 4.1 (or 4.2 or
5.0, etc.) host without xend you just need to shutdown xend
(leaving the VMs running) and use xl to perform the migration.